The Barbara Turnbull Foundation ..
Internet Policies: What You Should Be Aware Of
Privacy And Your Rights
Our intention with this web site is to provide interested individuals wishing to know about spinal cord injury research the following:
- information about the Foundations' activities
- an opportunity to provide financial assistance for the foundation
- to allow our supporters to become more involved
We recognize that visitors to our site may be concerned about the information they provide to us and how we treat that information.
Under certain laws, you have several rights guaranteed to you designed to protect your personal information and your right to privacy.
- Effective Jan. 1, 2004, all organizations that collect, use or disclose personal information about Canadian citizens during the course of commercial activities have to comply with Canada's Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act.
- The act requires organizations to offer Canadian citizens certain guarantees regarding the collection and use of personal data.
- The law requires organizations to have online consumer-consent screens and policies, call centre procedures and processes for recording and maintaining consent records clearly stated.
- It requires organizations to protect the physical integrity of collected data with adequate security and privacy measures.
- It is a violation to collect data in Canada and then transfer it out of the country, unless that transfer carries with it the same level of protection that's required in Canada.
The Barbara Turnbull Foundation respects these rights, and has prepared this document with the purpose of informing all web site visitors what happens to the personal information gathered from this web site.
- The Foundation does not employ or use internet "cookies" to gather or obtain information from people visiting this web site.
- The Foundation does not loan, rent or sell individuals records or any other personal information to third parties of any description.
- When you fill out an online form at this web site, you may be asked to indicate any or all of the following information about yourself :
Your Name, Address, City (or Town), Province or State, Telephone Number, and Email Address. If donating money, or purchasing a book, further information such as a personal chequing account may be required.
These types of information are considered personal. We request this information from you in order to know who you are, where you are from and how to contact you with a reply to your inquiry.
- Our online forms electronically forward your information from the Barbara Turnbull Foundation web site to the The Barbara Turnbull Foundation main office either by fax or via the internet.
- Your information is received and stored on a computer at the Foundations' main office, which is connected to the internet. This computer is not connected to any network or other computer device at the office or elsewhere.
- This computer has installed and takes advantage of software designed to protect the contents of the computer.
- The software program guards this computer against outside influences, such as computer "hackers" or other individuals who may be seeking to cause malicious harm, specifically towards the purpose of stealing information stored on this computer.
- Your information may be stored for long periods of time, for the purpose of tracking customer requests for information. This may include obtaining information about the Foundation and its activities, receiving periodic newsletters, receiving direct email, telephone or mail contact from personnel at the Foundation for the purpose of information exchange due to book purchases, and/or information exchange due to individuals donating funds to the Foundation.
- Your personal information may be purged (deleted) from the office computer periodically to ensure that privacy & safety are respected.
- Be aware that .. It is within your right to ask to have your personal information removed at any time.
For further assistance, please contact the The Barbara Turnbull Foundation web site administrator by email. Note that this document about Privacy has been indicated to you as a matter of public record.
Privacy Related Links :
Links to Canadian privacy legislation, privacy law news, and other privacy related resources.
|•||Privacy Commissioner of Canada Web Site|| [ here ]|
|•||Ontario Information and Privacy Commissioner || [ here ]|
|•||The Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)|| [ here ]|
1 (416) 484-9413